Questions & Answers

Below we have compiled a list of common questions that occur from those just being introduced to Foundation for Blind Children for the first time or learning the full extent of all of our services and programs. It is our talented staff and focus on quality programs that allows for us to serve the visually impaired of all ages.

What should I do if I, or someone I know, has been recently diagnosed with a visual impairment?

Foundation for Blind Children offers a variety of services and programs for people experiencing vision loss. To help with some initial concerns and questions, we encourage you to visit this page, Where Do I Start. Otherwise, please complete This Form and someone will be in contact to find what program would best fit your needs, or call us at FBC: 800.322.4870

How can I take advantage of Arizona’s Charitable Giving Tax Credit?

Donate to FBC today and directly support Arizona’s blind and visually impaired while receiving a tax credit. The maximum credit allowed is $800 for married filing joint filers and $400 for single, heads of household, and married filing separate filers.

Learn more.

How can I include FBC in my planned giving?

Thank you for considering Foundation for Blind Children in your planned giving. You can read more on this topic by visiting Ways to Give.

How can I become a Teacher of the Visually Impaired?

Pursue a meaningful career by becoming a Teacher of the Visually Impaired at Arizona State University. Learn more about the program.

Does FBC offer services for adults with vision loss?

FBC serves the blind and low-vision of all ages. Start receiving services by
applying for Vocational Rehabilitation Eligibility through the State of Arizona Department of Economic Security.

How do I enroll my child in FBC’s preschool or elementary school?

Please contact Joy Calles by phone at 602-331-7904 or email Preschool Services or Elementary Services

Where are FBC’s preschools and elementary schools located?

FBC offers on-site school services across the Valley in West Phoenix, Central Phoenix and Chandler. Find directions to any of FBC’s three campuses on our Schools Pages.

Where can I get assistive technology for my student?

Our Technology Lease Program removes barriers of accessibility to children with vision impairments and enables them to actively use assistive technology.  This program allows students to use the equipment at school and at home during the school year and during school breaks.

Does FBC offer services for teens?

Teen-to-Work is a six-week residential program where students live in dorms on Arizona State University’s campus learning what jobs match their abilities or interests and how to get a job. Students gain real life experience about working and living on your own. Plus, they have fun with peers.

Does FBC offer services for high school students transitioning to college or current college students?

College Prep is a six-week residential program held on Arizona State University’s Tempe campus. It’s all about learning what to expect and how to succeed in college as a student with visual impairments including assistive technology, orientation and mobility, daily living skills and self-advocacy.

How do I schedule a visit at FBC’s Low Vision Clinic?

Call 602-337-8257 to schedule an appointment with FBC’s Low Vision Clinic.

Where can I find braille or alternative format materials or textbooks?

Designated by the Arizona Department of Education, the Arizona Instructional Resource Center (AIRC) is the state media center and library for all students in the State of Arizona who are blind or have a visual impairment. Submit a request for materials.